Re: [AD] Allegro 4.3 Settings/Conf API

On 2005-11-15, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the past a system not too far removed from what we have now was suggested,
> but should we not allow the system to be "extended"? IE: allow the system
> (windows/mac etc) define a storage method for the settings as well as the
> user?
>
> So we could allow access to the Windows registry, whatever OSX uses, or even
> allow someone to write an XML backend if they so wish?

I don't think that is useful.  It might allow Allegro settings to be
stored in the Windows registry but unless everyone uses the same addon
it won't be understood by all Allegro programs.  Besides, Allegro
shouldn't need _any_ configuring at all in the normal case.

If you just want a database or XML API for your own program, you can
get that elsewhere.  No need to go through an Allegro layer.

If you _really_ want, the API should be able to create empty CONFIG
objects and populate them, then later extract all the data one by one.
You could then write replacements for the config file reader and writer
functions, substituting whatever file format you like, but Allegro won't
need to know anything about it.

Peter