Re: [AD] build process overhaul

On 2005-11-25, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can see how the original author of the dep* scripts thought they could
> save some typing, but it just got too hackish to be maintainable IMO, so
> the change would be worth it. But, before presenting a complete patch,
> are there any reasons against it?
>
> And in the long run, having a modernized (well, if you can autotools
> call so) build system would pay off in other ways, e.g. automake builds
> the libraries using libtool, which is more portable than our custom
> build rules, I think.

Getting rid of the dep* scripts is a good move.  I've been running
make clean more often than necessary and letting ccache mop up.

Automake, I haven't had experience with but I've also read some not so
nice things about it.  Well, try it and see I guess :-)  It still
leaves our cross-platform build problems, though.

I don't like libtool.  The command-line is hidden under a layer of magic
it's impossible to copy-and-paste erroneous commands from the terminal
and retry them manually.  Add to that that it puts object files in
hidden directories with weird extensions and you're in for a world of
pain.  And it's slow.

I'm interested in your findings with scons.  Are there other tools we
should look at too?

Peter