Re: [AD] OSX - lockup

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 23:52 -0700, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 August 2005 10:59 pm, Peter Hull wrote:
> > I think the most sensible course is that vsync
> > should be a no-op if the screen is acquired.
>
> I think it should ASSERT if the screen is acquired. You do not do any resting
> or waiting when the screen is locked. You only draw or read as needed, and
> then release when you're done.

Yep. Maybe we should add a big warning to acquire_bitmap that it
normally *should not be used*. I talked to Solak in IRC, and it turned
out his program doesn't need acquire or release bitmap at all. Probably
we should put something like this to the docs:

"This function is dangerous and normally is not needed. Only in the
special case where you draw directly to a video bitmap, and can do
better locking than Allegro itself, it may have any benefits at all."

--
Elias Pschernig