Re: [AD] [ alleg-Bugs-1223257 ] Mac OSX allegro will not read config files

On 2005-07-29, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:02 -0700, chris.kcat@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > But one thing to note, is that for all the programs I've run
> > across in Linux, the program never ever alters the config in
> > /etc/game-name/. It will read the config in /etc/game-name/,
> > but all changes will go in ~/.game-name/. I've yet to figure out
> > how to use one config file to read default values from, override
> > those values with a custom/user config, and have changes go in
> > the override file. Everytime I've tried override_config_file,
> > it's not done this.. though I suppose I just could've been
> > doing it wrong.
> >

> It's not very intuitive since everything had to stay
> compatible.. it should work like this: [...]

That's ok, but you are forgetting about a "hierarchy". Let's say
a game get's packaged under Debian with the default config file
under /etc/something. If the user changes some setting and we want
to keep it, closing/saving the configuration will probably fail
due to write permissions. In this case under Unix it should retry
saving on home or similar place. Haven't checked if this happens now.

Saving only the differences from the global file would be nice
too. Or not, depending on what the user wants. Since we can't
foresee, we can pick the easy option, which is saving everything
to home.