Re: [AD] _aligned_malloc()

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 16:06 +1000, AJ wrote:
> A quick search thru the allegro src code, i find lots of malloc() calls.
>
> I have mentioned this before, i'd like to replace them with
> _aligned_malloc() as this yields greater performance on the newer
> (heavily alignment dependant) CPUs.
>
> As i dont think anyones going to agree to a simple find-n-replace; how
> about replacing them with a macro or a function call, that could have
> build specific code to allow me to use _aligned_malloc() and default
> back to normal malloc() for non-specific builds.

Yes, since quite probably, it will need to be different on different
platforms. I don't think my libc here has an _aligned_malloc function.
And from what I remember, there's already a proposal among the A5
documents which has such an malloc layer, so definitely a good idea.

Do you have some benchmarks which shows the improvement? Maybe could do
something like for the asm code on allegro.cc, where it got clear that
the C version is faster on newer CPUs. If we get something similiar with
malloc, then we should make the change.

--
Elias Pschernig