Re: [AD] No more video/system bitmaps

On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 07:25  pm, Elias Pschernig wrote:

And yes, just using select_bitmap instead of having
additional context objects sounds better to me.

Simpler is better, I agree. One thing that has been discussed, is giving allegro hints as to whether it should move a bitmap to VRAM or not. My thought for the context is that Allegro would know that any bitmap with an open context should stay in system RAM. That's what the flush_context was for - to update it but keep it pinned in main memory. Have you any thoughts on how that could be achieved in the select_bitmap system? Presumably the selected bitmap wouldn't be moved, but when the screen is selected, it might. There could be an explicit function, or maybe Allegro could move bitmaps automatically that have been blitted 'recently', but not blitted to.

Pete