Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2 doesn't compile under OpenWatcom 1.0

> Hmm... I'm going to take a shot in the dark here: did you use DJGPP or
> MinGW as the GCC compiler? If MinGW, then maybe you could retry with DJGPP,
> since you're building the DOS port?
> As I said, it's a shot in the dark, but might be worth a try.

MinGW vs DJGPP didn't make an difference, but you were on the right track.

OpenWatcom supports Windows and DOS, and I had forgotten that
Allegro's Watcom port was DOS. When installing Watcom, I only
installed the Win32 part. So, I reinstalled Watcom with DOS support.

When linking to build .exe's, the files clib3s.lib and emu387.lib are
needed. Watcom provides two copies, one in the DOS folder and on in
the NT folder. I copied the ones in the DOS folder to the main lib386
and then everything worked fine. (I think I made this same mistake
last time...)

To summarize the OpenWatcom 1.0 build:

* Either DJGPP or MinGW work
* alwatcom.h needs to use "#define ALLEGRO_GUESS_INTTYPES_OK" if
Watcom 1.0 is detected. (Maybe 1.1 and 1.2 as well???) It doesn't
support #warning, so the Guess_OK must be defined.
* OpenWatcom needs to be installed with support for DOS.
* The lib386\dos\clib3s.lib & lib386\dos\emu387.lib files should be
copied into the lib386 folder (or somehow added to the path) to make
the build work.

Finally, there is a file that is longer than 8 characters:

docs/src/datafiles._tx

The build chokes on that. I assume this is a problem for any DOS
version of Allegro.

--
Matthew Leverton
http://www.allegro.cc