Re: [AD] [ alleg-Bugs-1154473 ] Mac OS X Instal (4.1.18)

> On Tuesday 01 March 2005 19:47, SourceForge.net wrote:
>> Under Mac OS X (I use 10.3 with the latest dev tools)
>> installing allegro 4.1.18 fails due to /usr/local/bin
>> not existing. Creating this directory allows the isnall
>> to continue bt allegro-config is not accessable as
>> /usr/bin/local is not in the path by default.
>>
>> My guess is
>>
>> $(INSTALLDIR)/bin/allegro-config
>>
>> needs to be changed to
>>
>> /usr/bin/allegro-config
>>
>> in makefile.osx but then again makefiles aren't my area
>> of expertise
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems that /usr/local/ is not a
> standard place to put things in OSX. I think this was mentioned before,
> but I'm not sure if there was an agreed solution to the problem.

It appears that /usr/local was okay for earlier versions of OS X, but then
they removed it (as well as removing /usr/local/bin from the default
PATH).  I don't know if installing to /usr by default is such a good idea.
 At any rate, we need to fix the problem with it not creating the bin
directory if it doesn't exist.

Peter