Re: [AD] Something to do?

On Thursday 23 December 2004 23:57, Bailey Curzadd wrote:
> I'd like to help with work on Allegro, but I looked in the todo and
> there wasn't anything I would be able to do. I have some experience with
> X11 and linux programming as well as anything general in C. I thought
> asking here might be better than looking in the todo list for ideas, so
> if there's any work that I could do i'm willing to help.

Great! Thanks for the offer. I think that at the Linux/X11 front, the todo
list is fairly accurate in what remains to be done, and none of it is
really critical.
I think these:

- Add caching system to speed up filename#object and load_datafile_object()
- more modularity under Linux
- Threaded Alsa driver, since the current one doesn't work properly for at
  least one person.
- Add an option to the X11 driver to use the current palette in 8-bit mode.

from the wishlist may be good ones to have a look at, although I'm not sure
what's meant by number 2 (we want more modules? Or do we want the code to
be more modular?). Thomas Fjellstrom was working on number 3, I believe,
and number 4 may require a rewrite of the graphics driver, making it not
worth the issue (but if you know more about X11 than I do, then maybe you
see a way to do this that doesn't make it necessary).
Elias or Peter may have some more ideas on what needs doing right now,
personally I think it's wrapping up some unfinished features and sorting
out some issues with the Windows port. Stay tuned though, we can probably
use some extra hands when 4.2 is done.

Evert