Re: [AD] XIM patch for Allegro 4.1.x

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 02:50 +0100, Julien Cugnière wrote:
> So I wouldn't complain if such a function was added to Allegro! Although the
> X11 KeySyms don't look too good: (^) is "dead_circumflex", (!) is "exclam",
> (") is "quotedbl"... Maybe we could provide a small table to map common ones
> to decent names; bah, I'm just being too picky, the KeySym names will do just
> fine :-)

You could always do an additional mapping in user code. Of course,
ideally, we would have a platform independent list of key names,
translated into several languages.. but I think that just is too much
work for little gain. Using OS-provided names is enough.

In Windows, this function would still say "QUOTE" for, well, no idea
which key. I think here it is the "ü" key. Games like UT already could
detect this right in windows though AFAICR (but not in linux). Allegro
now is just the other way around.. hopefully someone will implement it
for windows.

> I don't think the problem is related to XIM, but rather to the new locking
> mechanism that you introduced in the same patch. I'll look at this deeper and
> report on AGL tomorrow.

Well, it has nothing to do with that either. It is Bob's ow request to
add new vtable entries - he requested them, but AGL doesn't initialize
them and crashes when any is called (e.g. for rect).

I sent a patch to the AGL list to fix it (in a SLOW way, just calling
allegro's software implementations - so someone hopefully works on
this).

--
Elias Pschernig