Re: [AD] Anti-Aliasing

On 2004-10-12, Chris La Mantia <celamantia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I think the consensus is currently, what can be an addon
> > should be an addon. But an anti-aliased-drawing addon definitely
> > is a good idea..  maybe one already exists?
>
> AASTR (http://www.inp.nsk.su/~bukinm/dusty/aastr/)
> works great; I use it in my main project
> (http://www.allegro.cc/depot/project.php?_id=1117). It's not for
> drawing, though, just antialiased stretches and rotations.

I've used AASTR with success before, it's ok. About drawing lines,
I remember somebody posting some code directly on the Allegro
mailing list long ago, and everybody ignoring it.

All in all, anti aliasing is a cool feature to have, but since it
is not hardware accelerated and it incurs in a heavy performance
penalty, those who really want it seem ok with making it work
outside of Allegro.

Besides, once you go into anti aliasing you sort of get into problems
of what to do with a sprite using anti aliased borders which don't
fade into the background. So you throw in set_alpha_blender()
to fix it and...  you are playing a spectrum on your P4 machine...