Re: [AD] Using system mouse cursor

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
I think we mean different things by the name hardware cursor.
The way I use it is in the sense of the current implementation: it is a custom cursor that is drawn by the OS rather than Allegro.

When I say hardware cursor, I mean a cursor (typically custom, but it not need be so) that is drawn by something above Allegro (the graphics hardware and/or the OS). In my mind it would be silly to seperate the two (hardware and OS cursor) since that is solely up to the mouse (and possibly graphics) drivers to implement.

But since Allegro is not designed for that kind of seperation, we should make as few differences as possible.

Actually, what we are currently trying to do is what Allegro was not designed to do.

Allegro had some design plans for hardware cursors.. whether they were ever fully fleshed out or not I can't say (didn't the VBE/AF driver support hardware cursors?).

System cursors are, in principle, a different entity in that Allegro does not (normally) draw them, except when the system has no default cursor.

If the system has no default cursor, wouldn't there be no system cursor(s) to draw?

In behavior, they are similar enough to hardware cursors (except when Allegro draws them) as to make the distinction irrelevant to the user of the library. The subtle difference matters to the internal library code though.

But Allegro itself would never draw system or (custom) hardware cursors. That's the whole point of them, to leave the hardware and/or OS to do it for us. Allegro would only ever draw its own (default or user-supplied) when the software cursor is used.

- Kitty Cat