[AD] demo of new joystick API

Here it is, for Linux and Windows (DirectX). I dropped the non-DX driver for Windows, since there was no point keeping it, and I can't be stuffed updating it.

http://members.ozadsl.com.au/~tjaden/a5/nu/nu-joystick-api-20040905.tar.gz

Apply against latest CVS copy of the new_api_branch.

The old joystick API is available[1], again emulated on top of the new API. I tested this with a couple of games, and it appears to work just fine.

The new Linux and Windows joystick drivers work using a background thread which only wakes up when something interesting happens on a joystick. [details: gameport joysticks in Windows still require polling] This should be more efficient than before, at least sometimes.

I'll post about the new API later. For now you can look in joystick.h and also events.h. It's actually not that far removed from Allegro 4.

Peter

[1] The calibration routines do nothing as the new API doesn't have any calibration routines (yet?). Note that the only joystick drivers in Allegro 4 that actually dealt with calibration were for DOS.