Re: [AD] Test patch

Peter Wang wrote:
Context switches are not free, though. The more switching, the lower the system throughput. It increases responsiveness, of course.

True. Though I don't know how costly context switches are.

I don't like the idea of telling the user to yield. It ought to Just Work, even if yielding is a good idea in many cases.

I agree.. but I can't see anything that Allegro does that could help solve the problem short of calling rest(0) itself.

BTW, don't you find that you get rather different numbers in the test program with your rest(0) patch?

Hmm.. you're right. I actually get a few thousand more blits per second with the yield than without. I also find it odd that I get better memory->screen performance than screen->screen. Since the screen bitmap in X is just a memory bitmap, I don't see why it would be so different.

- Kitty Cat