[AD] Problems with installing Allegro multiple times?

As mentioned in this thread:

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/view_thread.php?_id=398957

It seems to me that calling install_allegro()/allegro_exit() should leave
the system in the same state as before Allegro was initialized.
I'm not sure that the method mentioned in the thread, decrementing
_allegro_count, is the proper way to fix the problem though... none of the
system drivers ever decrement it, as far as I could see by doing a quick
grep, so I guess it's never supposed to be decremented? Anyone else have
thoughts on this?

Evert