RE: [AD] Prefixing

Perhaps we(*) should move towards A5 instead?
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/future/keyboard.txt

At least some of it can be implemented on top of the current A4.

For example,

bool al_key_down(AL_KBDSTATE *state, int keycode)

This would be just like the al_key() you proposed, except we leave the
first parameter (state) reversed for future use - must be NULL in A4.