Re: [AD] Sound API

On May 17, 2004 01:48 pm, Ben Davis wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2004 20:39, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > AFAIK, not only louder, but it sounded better. I don't remember near as
> > much bass coming through before.
>
> I think this is a placebo effect. Neither mixer is doing anything more than
> adding samples together, adjusting their volume.
>
> The precision is different, but that doesn't affect frequency content in
> any consistent way; all it does is add noise. It certainly would not affect
> the amount of bass.
>
> As for the volume, the mixers certainly have different behaviour, but it
> would seem (from Elias's experiment) that the new one behaves the same as
> the old one in the specific case when set_volume_per_voice(1) has been
> called. That would mean the game should generate output at the same volume
> as before.
>
> The only difference you should hear is KCat's should sound clearer. That
> doesn't mean more treble, more bass, or louder. It just means less noise
> added during mixing. And it should be hardly noticeable.
>
> Ben

One thing I've noticed with sound, if theres more volume, theres more bass.
period. At least thats how my subwhofer handles it. Less input volume, less
bass :) even if I turn the speakers volume up. I've tried it. I turn my mixer
volume down, and my speakers volume up, less bass than with "full" (80-90%)
volume from my card's mixer.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx