Re: [AD] MacOS X dynamic linking and enduser package

Now it would be nice if allegro-config could work also when Allegro is
installed as a framework, system wide or embedded. This would require
modifications to allegro-config.in though, as under OSX allegro-config
is generated on the fly from it, by using sed to change parameters. Any
idea on how to deal with this? It'd be nice if allegro-config could
support an additional --framework parameter, outputing "-framework
Cocoa -framework Allegro"...

Why not simply fork allegro-config.in, like QNX?

Personally I'm against creating another allegro-config fork... Expecially since the modifications would be minimal. I'm attaching a suggested patch to the current allegro-config.in, which should in no way harm other ports.

An important issue to discuss here is what allegro-config should report
when called. Currently it outputs (among other linked libs)
-lalleg-$(shared_version).dylib. Wouldn't be wiser for it to output
just -lalleg.dylib or -lalleg-4.1.dylib? These would be links to the
currently installed WIP... This way linked app will only search for
liballeg.dylib or liballeg-4.1.dylib, so if an enduser has another WIP
installed, it'll still work as he'll have links pointing to it
(providing it's ABI compatible)

This is already the case under Unix because the soname is specified at link
time via the -h option:

Humm, there's a similar option I used to specify the current lib version and compatibility version when linking the shared lib... I added this without really testing it, but now I've done some tests and it seems OSX is smarter than I thought, as it chooses the right lib to load if it is binary compatible (i.e. if the compatibility version specified inside the lib binary allows it).

About the enduser package, can we generate it automatically using the SF compile farm at each new release (using the provided script in misc/mkpkg.sh), and put it up on the Allegro homepage in the downloads section?

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx