[AD] Re: [AGL] Feature request: screen-gamma manipulation functions

This is something that should be placed in Allegro, if at all. Personally, I'm weary of games that change the global gamma setting, and then crash to leave the messed up gamma ramp.

Steffen Hein wrote:

I would like to ask if you could implement some gamma-manipulation functions in AllegroGL. These are platform-dependent, that's why I think they belong here.

The gamma can be changed using SetDeviceGammaRamp under Windows (see http://talika.eii.us.es/~titan/oglfaq/ chapter 18.08 and 16.05 for examples; Vooodoo-cards have their own function, newer cards support the above function).

Gamma can be changed with XF86VidModeSetGamma on X-based platforms (in case HAVE_XF86_VIDMODE is #defined).

On platforms not supporting gamma changes, the alleggl-function should return FALSE or an error-code so that the coder can fall-back on not-so-elegant options (for example brightening up lightmaps or things like that).

 ~sth