Re: [AD] Hashes bite back

On 2004-01-01, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem is - filenames in linux can contain any character

Not really, path separators, possibly \0 depending on implementation,
maybe something else...

On 2004-01-01, Robert Jr Ohannessian <rohannessian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could we use path separators as an alternative character to hashes?

Not sure about that, Linux might accept both, thought I'm to lazy to try.
Eric, how about adding such a text to the end of pack_fopen:

   "Since Allegro defines the hash `#' as a character with special
   meaning, for the sake of portability you are disallowed to load
   files with this character in their name, which should be pretty
   rare anyway."

Hmm... and how about deprecating the hash in favor of some
invalid/obscure/unused utf8 code which could be inserted in filenames
with some ALLEGRO_MAGIC_SEPARATOR sprintf? That could be portable.