Re: [AD] MSG_IDLE in grabber and menus

Elias Pschernig wrote:

> Well, all I know is there are "valid concerns" against yield_timeslice.

I'd be interested to hear what they are. For d_menu_proc I can't
imagine it, apart from platforms where it might simply not do
anything, but then there is no problem either. Do you get race
conditions on platforms that truly sleep a while, or something like
that?

> And I can see how it would be odd to require a d_yield_proc in DIALOGs,
> but then d_menu_proc would do it automatically while active.

No, because in the case of the dialog you can have a dialog object
which _wants_ to have all the cpu: for example a box in which a
bouncing line is drawn or whatever you can think of. So you want to be
able to choose if the dialog should be "nice" or not. In the case of
an unfolded menu, I can't think of a situation where you would want
that, as long as the menu responds smoothly. Or is it possible to have
a menu open while the rest of the dialog is still actively running and
being updated?

All in all, as long as yield_timeslice cannot cause programs to become
unstable, I don't see why anyone would object to adding a call in
either the menu _or_ the dialog player.

Hein Zelle

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein