Re: [AD] Alsa driver hogs CPU

On December 20, 2003 06:15 am, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 08:43, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Then again, I've seen lots of problems appear when using the alsa
> > drivers, corrupted audio, just plain bad drivers, etc... Does this happen
> > when using the OSS emulation of ALSA? if so, then its likely ALSA's
> > fault, otherwise, probably my alsa driver code ;)
>
> OSS is the ALSA emulation, yes. I couldn't see any other apparent
> problems yet - but I guess, it will cause programs to slow down quite a
> bit, especially on slower machines. I added a for loop to my test
> program doing just 10 million sin() and cos() calls:
>
> It takes about 5 seconds with ALSA, 2 seconds with OSS and ESD. All
> without any sound being played. So - if a game can run 30 FPS with OSS -
> it would drop more than half with ALSA.
>
> Does anyone else see this? If not, I take it there's some weird problem
> with my kernel. I'll try upgrading to 2.6.0 in the next days anyway,
> which then might resolve it (and they have ALSA built in there now).
>
> --
> Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>

I currently don't have any sound problems besides the rather low quality of my
via82xx chip's output ;) I did however notice some odd problems when using
ALSA ~1.0 (be it a beta release or recent 0.9.* release...), I ended up
downgrading to ALSA 0.9.4 to rid my self of some problems when in conjunction
with MythTV... (audio stuttering, etc...) Mind you 1.0 rc2 seems to be "ok"
on my main machine...

Do any alsa programs work? Do any show the same problems? Maybe I missed
something in the ALSA non-manual. (there isn't one really... pita) Or they
changed the api since I wrote the driver (AGAIN).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx