Re: [AD] MacOS X compatibility and WIP

> Anyway, I've been able to test if Allegro works here, and it does... It
> also showed me a little memory leak in hidman.m that Jaguar wasn't
> reporting; I already fixed it.

Great!

> As for WIP release: the showstopper was the 10.1.x compatibility. Well,
> so far I still have got no replies on the issue, so it is either noone
> in the mac community is using Allegro, either no mac developer still
> has 10.1.x... In any case, I propose we drop source compatibility with
> 10.1.x: the lib binary will still work under 10.1.x normally, but to
> compile it you'll need 10.2.x.

This is not uncharted territory: on the Windows side, we require DirectX 5 or
later to compile, while we support DirectX 3 at runtime, which means that
you can't compile on NT4.

> It is a first step to move away from 10.1; if we ever completely drop
> support for it in the future, chance is we could make the library port
> slimmer, as to make Allegro work under 10.1.x, I had to use Carbon
> hacks. Under Jaguar you can do the same things cleanly in Cocoa, thus
> we could remove the need for Carbon. Just a thought...

Is maintaining those hacks really a burden? If no, I'd say let them in the
tree for the near future. If at some point they happen to have completely
bitroted, we could revise our stand.

> What do you think? If we drop source compatibility with 10.1 all I'd
> have to do is to update the docs and we could release the WIP for me.

You're the port maintainer, so you have the final word on the matter. But I
think this position is sensible.

--
Eric Botcazou