Re: [AD] Two monitors... anyway hehe

i think the multi-monitor "solution" is not an easy one.
as there is so many options.

monitors vs desktops vs virtual screens  etc.

this multi-monitor thing does not fit well with the "allegro is a games programming lib"

i dont think this approach is going to work, trying to convince allegro developers to write multi-monitor support for allegro.

it might get done if it went the other way around.... someone (you!) write a multi-monitor program, in linux or win32 then document ever single thing in it.. then reduce it to the bare minimum, then present it to the allegro developers, and say "here, i have a working multi-monitor app" could it be intergrated into allegro.
that is the only way i truly see it actually getting done.

my ideas on how to do it.....
have another complete allegro program running as the second monitors SCREEN, then create an inter process communitions (IPC) channel between them. then send BITMAPs from the main program(1st monitor) to the dummy(2nd monitor) program to just blit them.

this should be do-able...

aj.

Hi Eric,

What I really need about this two monitors stuff is
the following:

My application runs on "fullscreen" mode, now I was
asked to do the same over the second monitor. There
are several options to fit the requirements, from best
to worst (that is, if I can't do 1) then do 2), and so
on:

1) I could select which monitor to send BLITs commands
and then allegro blits bitmaps or does it's stuff over
it. The other monitor stays with the same image,
frozen until you focus it and then you continue
BLITting to it back and forth. I thought I could do
this creating two "allegro windows", one on each
monitor device, and then setting it on the
"allegro_wnd" variable back and forth.

2) I do a "set_gfx_mode" command over the "other
monitor", rebuild the entire screen, but the other
remains unchanged until I refocus it, with the same
approach ("set_gfx_mode", load background bitmap,
etc).

3) I do a "win_set_window()" and then an
"allegro_init" call. I used 2 and 3 approaches but
only worked the 3) one and I guess the problem about
"focus windows" still exists.

4) The two "monitor devices" or windows has their own
instance of the allegro library running. I guess this
is not possible because of allegro limitations on
concurrency... is that right?

5) Be my guest! You are the one who knows this port's
internals! hehe

Count on me if you can think of a patch or approach
that I could test, just send it to me and I will test
it ASAP.

IMHO, having multiple monitors capabilities on Allegro
(I guess almost every platform it runs has this
capability) would be a very useful add-on.

Thank you very much, in advance,
Hugo Caro