Re: [AD] new GUI focus selection algorithm

> But this computation is not going to be done more often than the user
> presses a key!

Sure, but times the number of objects on the screen.

> That said, we can avoid square roots by comparing the _squares_ of the
> (Euclidean) distances. It will be faster and not change the behavior.

I'm a big fan of the man who said: "If you can avoid a multiplication,
then... avoid it." :-)

> If our circles look like squares, then A and B have the same distance to
> C in this example:
>
>   A B

> So moving up from C could equally well move to A or B (or always to A,
> if it ends one pixel below B).

Well, it depends upon the orientation of the squares. Certainly we won't take
squares (or boxes) that are along the axes. See Shawn's original solution.

> That could make sense, although it will be tedious to implement because
> we want to swap the weights when moving horizontally vs vertically.

I can assure you that I've seen more tedious things :-)

--
Eric Botcazou