Re: [AD] crash! unhandled exception wip414 win2k msvc

"Eric Botcazou" wrote on 03 Nov 2002...
> > Hmm, the pinkness seems to be caused by the DirectX Overlay driver
> > - if I manually switch it to DirectX Window, it works.
> The overlay driver is theoretically as fast as the fullscreen one, perhaps
> without acceleration though. Much faster than the windowed one.

Bit of a blast from the past this, but my conclusion has been that the DX
Overlay driver just gives a pink window if the game colour depth is the same
as the desktop colour depth. However, if this is the case, then the DX
Windowed driver's performance is good and can be used instead.

My startup code now uses this:

if (want_color_depth >= desktop_color_depth())
  driver = GFX_DIRECTX_WIN;
else
  driver = GFX_DIRECTX_OVL;

set_gfx_mode(driver, ...);

Is this a problem particular to my system, or does it happen to other people
as well? Should the DX Overlay driver be modified to return a failure if the
desktop colour depth is the same as the one requested, so that set_gfx_mode
will fail and the user can choose another depth based on that?

Cheers,
Chris