Re: [AD] Documentation update

> I'm still tempted to list absolute limits on parameters where they
> exist, even if it is a can of worms.

If someone wants to manually maintain cross-references between the code and
the docs at a lower level than the API, fine. But I won't be this guy.

> Is that because unicode doesn't specify in advance how the length and
> size of the string relate? If so, I'd just mention the limit in bytes
> and have the programmer figure it out.

No, most (if not all) limitations are arbitrary. I think they can all be
lifted with more or less pain.

> So it doesn't cause an error but your parameter string gets copied
> only partially? In that case I guess the problem isn't very severe,
> more a nuisance.

All strings that exceed the internal limitations are truncated with null
termination, so there is no risk of memory overwrite. But I guess one could
imagine some corner cases for which truncating can have hazardous effects.

> I still stick to the opinion that the limit should be documented though, I
> think. Which in no way means you have to agree,
> as you're probably aware :-)

Probably. But if ... (say a number) other peoples have the same opinion as
you, this will be a different problem :-)

--
Eric Botcazou