[AD] simple question on randomizing

sorry for such an easy question but the way I learned how to do random numbers is really not what I'm looking for...

/*

srand(static_cast<unsigned>(time(NULL)));
  int random_integer = (rand()% 1000);

*/

it only increases the number slightly until it reaches the max and then it starts over again.. is there a way to put some type of high and low spread on the numbers to make it really random? I understand it has something to do with the clock.. I tried using floats but that didnt really do any good either.