Re: [AD] a study of command line handling under dos and windows.

Henrik Stokseth wrote:

using djgpp make with "!proxy" enabled runner will then solve the last problem of running from pure dos. and that without the need to ugly up the makefiles. :-)

looks like there is a problem with programs built with watcom. the dos4gw stub doesn't allow for more than 110 bytes on the command line. and the stub aborts before the program starts if the command line is larger than 110 bytes, which makes it impossible to check the !proxy environment variable. that means we still need the old runner only for the watcom build.

eric, what about shipping the executable for the old runner with allegro? the !proxy method is built into djgpp libc's exec, spawn and system functions and the executable stub. this method doesn't change between libc versions i think. you can take a look at the sources yourself if you want to know how the "black magic" works (djlsr203.zip src/libc/dos/process/dosexec.c IIRC) and you can check the url i posted in the previous mail. besides libc is statically linked into the runner so there shouldn't be any of the libc issues you mentioned in a previous mail. on the mingw build for instance we won't be using this runner, we'll be using the new one i proposed. and that one will be built from source like usual. but don't do anything before i have the new runner utility ready...

--
One OS to rule them all,
one OS to find them,