Re: [AD] Weird constructs in makefile.in

On 2003-06-28, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What are these constructs in makefile.in for?

See "Static pattern rules" in make.info. I think I needed it because
I couldn't work out an implicit rule which didn't spit warnings
and behave correctly at the same time when running make.

> $(filter %.rtf,$(DOCS)): docs/rtf/%.rtf: docs/src/%._tx $(MAKEDOC)
>         $(MAKEDOC) -rtf $@ $<

Hmmm... yes. That is a copy&paste. You don't need it for rtf files,
but I believe the problem I had was with %.txt, when there were
files with the same name in different directories (evil VPATH).

> The double colon is not portable and causes Solaris' make to
> choke. This was previously hidden, but now shows up because of the
> 'make info' invocation in the configure script.

I thought we were requiring GNU make. Does Solaris use a version
of GNU make which doesn't support this?  At the moment I wrote
that the only solution I could think of was writting a sed script
to match exact filenames with full path, but desisted when I saw
that entry in the manual.