[AD] update/properties

This is the patch I have so far.
Unfortunately, it increase code too much for what I'd like, and
some one liner grab routines in plugins become twelve or so liners.
So I thought I'd show it and ask whether you like it that way or
not. The other way to do it is to let the caller create a DATAFILE
and pass it to the grab routine, which can then use it without
having to create it itself, but I'm not sure I like this either,
though it's starting to look like a better solution now, due to
the code size increase.
So, would you prefer me to finish with this approach, or with the
other one ? (Or a new one, for that matter ?)

--
Vincent Penquerc'h