Re: [AD] Stripping libraries

On 2003-05-04, Matthew Leverton <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does UPX'ing a Windows debug DLL fall into this category? I'm not sure
> if it strips anything off that would be useful for debug or not. I
> generally UPX the binaries on Allegro.cc due since saves my slow modem a
> meg or two of uploading between all the packages.
>
> Or, are you just talking about something happening in the makefile?

I'm talking about the makefile.  The Unix makefile (at least), runs ld
(the linker) with the -s switch, which strips symbols out of the
library.  The user doesn't get a chance to preserve the symbols.

If you want to UPX DLLs, that's your choice, but if you can't do proper
debugging with the debug DLL, I don't think there's any point uploading
it.

--
王浩禎