Re: [AD] mingw make is bad.

Eric Botcazou wrote:

seems like the recent make utility that comes with mingw-2.0.0 is
seriously screwed. it wrongly sets UNIX_TOOLS on the MSYS test ($SHELL
is not set), and it also croaks on the first command of make -n, which
is a simple echo!?! the problem it seems is that make tries to execute a
command directly instead of opening it in a subshell as it should. i've
also tried out different make programs, no luck. sad, in msys everything
works like a dream.

What's the version? I have no problem with make 3.79.1 packaged as make-3.79.1-20010722.tar.gz.

shit! i figured it out, there's nothing (seriously) wrong with mingw make. searched on my hd for sh.exe and found one in \winnt\system32, i didn't know i had one there. i must have copied it from an earlier cygwin installation for some reason.

the problem in detail for those interrested: mingw make uses sh.exe instead of command.com/cmd.exe if it can find it, it totally ignores $SHELL on startup. it also sets $SHELL to sh.exe or whatever other shell that is used, that in turn causes the msys test to kick in defining UNIX_TOOLS. the original bourne shell doesn't have the echo command built in like the bourne again shell has, so it searches for an echo.exe from gnu textutils. it wasn't installed in my path so the makejob errors on the first command (echo). i'm used to bash, that's why i didn't realise it at first. also this behaviour is inconsistent with section 6.9 of the gnu make manual. (the default behaviour is to ignore $SHELL on startup except on DOS or windows, on those platforms $COMSPEC is used if not $SHELL is set)

--
One OS to rule them all,
one OS to find them,