Re: [AD] Allegro 4.0.3 beta2/4.1.9 WIP

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> > If I understand correctly, the only problem is artsd which is blocking
> > /dev/dsp, right?
>
> Right.
>
> > But that's normal behaviour of artsd and is described in documentation.
> > artsd will close /dev/dsp if no client is accessing arts for a while or
> > after issuing 'artsshell suspend'.
>
> So the aRts demon and my program are racing for the /dev/dsp resource ?

Yes, sort of. But if /dev/dsp is blocked and artsd is woke up by some
client the artsd will wait till /dev/dsp is available (meanwhile
discarding all client requests).

> > Or, if you want sound mixed with other apps, you can use 'artsdsp
> > <program>' which will run program with emulated /dev/dsp (won't work with
> > mmapped /dev/dsp, I think).
>
> But I have _no_ other app running, only the aRts demon. And when I want to
> launch XMMS, I don't need to open a terminal...

There may be some artsd clients hidden inside KDE. As to XMMS: aRts output
plugin is not part of XMMS, but it is available as separate package
(search for /usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.la or similar).

You can check artsd status by issuing command "artsshell status". Search
for line starting with "server status", it can be "running" (no clients
connected - in fact it means clients connected, but no requests
processed), "busy" (clients connected, unable to suspend) or "suspended"
(/dev/dsp is free).

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh