Re: [AD] Allegro 4.0.3 beta2/4.1.9 WIP

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> > Do non-Allegro OSS programs work with the aRts daemon?  If so, it would
> > probably be safer to fix the OSS driver.
>
> I can get the OSS driver to work but only intermittently (say 1 out of 2
> tries on average) and never in the demo game. When it fails to start, the
> error message is "/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy".
>
> The open() calls simply fails and I can reproduce the problem (obviously not
> very difficult :-) with a program of mine which directly uses OSS. We could
> use a loop with a delay and re-try, but I don't like that at all.

If I understand correctly, the only problem is artsd which is blocking
/dev/dsp, right? But that's normal behaviour of artsd and is described in
documentation. artsd will close /dev/dsp if no client is accessing arts
for a while or after issuing 'artsshell suspend'. Or, if you want sound
mixed with other apps, you can use 'artsdsp <program>' which will run
program with emulated /dev/dsp (won't work with mmapped /dev/dsp, I
think).

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh