[AD] problems building Allegro 4.1.6 on mingw32

Here's the sample output of my problem:

[cut]
obj/mingw32/runner.exe gcc -s  -Wl,--subsystem,console -o tools/dat.exe
obj/mingw32/alleg/dat.o lib/mingw32/libaldat.a
lib/mingw32/liballeg.a -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lole32 -ldinp
ut -lddraw -ldxguid -lwinmm -ldsound
'?gcc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
make[1]: *** [tools/dat.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/code/allegro-4.1.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[/cut]

I got that after a "fix mingw32", "make all"

The line looks innocent enough, but when passing through "runner.exe", it
gives me the "Xgcc is not recognized...", where X is a thick underscore
character. If I copy and paste the line from gcc and on, it works fine. I
type "make all" and it continues till it gets to the next similar line. It
did it four or five times I think.

Perhaps something is messed up with runner.exe?

C:\code\allegro-4.1.6>obj\mingw32\runner.exe
'?' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
or batch file.

C:\code\allegro-4.1.6>obj\mingw32\runner.exe echo
'?echo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable
program or batch file.

(I don't know how it will come across, but there is a think underscore in
both of those error lines. I tried to send, but it warned me about it having
to use Unicode to display properly. Dunno if that will effect anyone, so i
just sent it "as-is" without unicode.)

Did runner.exe change at all , or is my setup just fubar'd?

Specs:
~~
Windows XP
gcc 2.95.3-6 (mingw32)
~~

It's late, so I'm just going to bed. I haven't tried on MSVC or anything
else. Let me know if I'm missing something obvious here...

--
Matthew Leverton - matthew@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.allegro.cc