Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

> I don't know where Michael's utility is, but look in src/x/xwin.c,
> _xwin_private_init_keyboard_tables().
>  You should be able to figure out the config variables from that.

I see, I was afraid already the only way is to look into the source.
Did the xkeymap program read out the X-key-configuration, and
auto-generate appropriate config entries? In this case, I'd do
what the todo.txt says and include it with Allegro.
Right now with a german keyboard layout about 10 keys are
missing (i.e. also key[] or the callbacks won't detect them), including
keys necessary to get any special characters and also standard
characters like {[]}\|<>@~+*#`'... So there's not much point in
setting "keyboard=de" right now.

> When writing the events API prototype, I got more details on the problem
> (as
> well as learning X, finally).  The problem is that X only tells us
> "Keysyms"
> which is something between a physical key and a character.  There's no way
> "solve" the problem, as I alluded to in that todo entry.

Hm, I don't remember the events API prototype.. but now I wonder if Allegro
should do any keyboard mapping at all. Best would probably be to have
something like the current system (with the same problem as above, so the
solution made for A4 would also be needed in A5), and a separate system to
get character codes, where the facilities of the OS would be used (even DOS
does key mapping).

--
Elias Pschernig