Re: [AD] Alleg5 - new driver structure idea

Angelo Mottola wrote:

There is also the issue of supporting older interfaces. What if we
add a parameter to blit() for example? We can make a "blit2" entry in
the driver, but then we also need to support the old "blit"
interface.
Or supply a default "blit2" entry, only used when the driver doesn't provide it, which wraps around the original "blit" call.

Even better: the proposed AL_DRIVER_VTABLE_ENTRY structure has a "version" parameter that could be useful here. Suppose we have Allegro 5.0 and a gfx driver that has "blit" version 5.0. On startup, Allegro would connect the driver hook with the internal AL_GFX_DRIVER_VTABLE version 5.0.

That's the idea. The problem is if we ever end up with some interface for which emulating the old (possibly broken) behavior would be too much work.