Re: [AD] Problems (bugs?) with video memory

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> :

> IIRC under X allegro emulates the video memory with a memory bitmap,
> which is copied to the real window when there's a change, this may
> explain why you can get any virtual screen size.

Ah, ok...

> DGA2 clearly uses the real vram, but maybe X doesn't allow this driver
> to reclaim it all.

*Very* bad!

> Also, I think running the desktop in one or another
> resolution can give you more/less for your program.

I tried a lot right now, and i was only able to obtain *less* memory :/

It's really a problem, since DGA2 is the only accelerated mode available
under most linux boxes...

Any idea on how to "fix" it?

> This is one of the things linux seems to do better over windows, and
> that is that each graphic driver knows when their surfaces are lost
> and can recover them.  Other than that, the only explanation is
> magic... black magic.

Are you meaning: if i use framebuffer i can use *all* video ram, and
other programs using it loose it? But it is "swapped out" and then
automagically recovered when they need it back?

--
"I am the one, doom's in my hands
 Now make your choice, / Redeemed or enslaved"