Re: [AD] New font types

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:15:48PM +0100, Laurence Withers wrote:
> As a small project, I have developed some new font types for Allegro.
> Please see the attached text file for a more thorough description.
> Although this would sit alright as an addon, it would require me to
> distribute patched versions of grabber, dat2c and Allegro itself, so I
> would like to ask for your comments on merging it into Allegro.

Unless the whole text output routine is put into an add-on (will it be for
Allegro 5, btw?), I'd say: include this in Allegro!
It would really be nice to give a boost to the font/text subsystem, IMHO.

>  - The font creation tool would have to be shipped as a separate
>    package, since it will be quite large once it is written (probably
>    almost as large as the grabber).

On a side note regarding the grabber and fonts - I tried extracting a colour
font from a datafile and ended up with a bitmap containing a monochrome font.
Did I do something wrong, or can't the grabber output coloured fonts?
I had to write custom program to do it...

--
Evert Glebbeek, Physics student
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam