Re: [AD] Cygwin ports

Sven Sandberg <svsa1977@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Btw, is this -mwindows flag really needed? I can compile+link demo.c
>without it...

it's a flag telling the linker to output GUI or CONSOLE apps.

>> i don't think so. why put extra (cygwin) licensing restrictions on the
>> allegro library?
>
>If I understand http://cygwin.com/licensing.html correctly (in
>particular the last four paragraphs), it merely requires Allegro's
>license to comply with the open source definition, not with GPL. And if
>I understand http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html
>correctly, Allegro's license _is_ compliant (assuming that "compliant"
>is weaker than "approved"; I don't know if this is what they mean).

allegro is free right. but i read somewhere that you will need to buy a
commercial license of cygwin which costs $$$ if you link a commerical (non-free)
program with the cygwin DLL. for free programs there's no restrictions (i
think).

>> not to mention OS calls will be slower due to an
>> extra emulation layer that is not really needed since there's already
>> a native win32 port of allegro.
>
>I think it would mainly be useful for porting Allegro programs requiring
>Unix to windows.

yes i can see that, but my point was that you can link your program with
both allegro and cygwin. allegro itself doesn't need to be linked with cygwin
in order for any programs/games to work that needs the cygwin unix-layer
to work/compile on a win32 platform. hope you understand what i'm trying
to say.

-henrik