Re: [AD] Porting Allegro to the PS2

> It seems that when the unix code was being developed the programmer(s)
> assumed that linux/unix == x86, which is not my case.

Yes, the mistake seems to be here: Linux == Linux-x86. On the contrary, the
Unix-only port is known to work on non-x86 CPUs (Sparc and PowerPC).

> The questions are 1) why is there inline asm in a unix header file?,
> unix != x86 and also that's just bad karma...

Because of my previous remark. See the Linux-specific section in alunix.h.

> 2) what is this for? can I move it or put it some something little more
> device depandant? It seems to be related to the joystick....

I/O routines for VGA/Mode-X.

> gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -s -Wl,-export-dynamic  -o demo/demo
> obj/unix/demo.o -Llib/
> unix -lalleg-4.0.1 -lalleg_unsharable -lm
> lib/unix/liballeg-4.0.1.so: undefined reference to `iopl'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

See Laurence's message.

> It's linking against my X libs first of all (Bad thing, first of all
> even if it did work, the overhead of running X will not be benifical in
> making real games. I need a console driver as close to the metal as
> possible)

See Laurence's message.

> But the makfile isn't intelligent enough to see  it's a mips computer,
> (just notx86 and not to incude asm, which the
> header does anyway)  and I don't know how to change it.

The culprit is actually the autoconf machinery.

> Well, I hope I didn't bother you all, but I would like to see Allegro on
> the PS2. As it stands right now all the code I've written for x86 linux
> is stuck there until Allegro works. I'll help when I can ^_^

Not at all! Every new port is welcome.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx