Re: [AD] Proposed clarification of get_gfx_mode_list

> This has been causing headaches to a friend of mine:
> [patch]

Ok for me.

> I understand that this happens because some available drivers wouldn't
> be able to report modes until selected, but then, isn't this function
> really pointless?

I personally don't find it that useless. Moreover, almost all gfx APIs at
the platform level expose such a function so I think it's natural to wrap
them in a platform-independent API.

> It doesn't seem to fulfill the task of helping out the programmer, rather
> seems to ask for writting lot's of #ifdef'ed code for each
> driver/platform...

I agree from a platform-independent point of view, although we could make
"official" the use of

   /* ask the system driver for a list of graphics hardware drivers */
   if (system_driver->gfx_drivers)
      list_entry = system_driver->gfx_drivers();
   else
      list_entry = _gfx_driver_list;

Do you have any suggestion to fix that ?

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx