Re: [AD] Proposed clarification of get_gfx_mode_list

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Today with 4.0.x I write: get_gfx_mode_list(GFX_FBCON) and so on for
>each known driver. But 4.2.x includes three new drivers, each for a
>different platform, and my code won't use them, because I didn't know
>them beforehand.  And if I modify the code just to take advantage of
>these few drivers, it won't compile with 4.0.x, which is a shame If I
>just want those new drivers and can't link with previous 4.0.x DLLs.
<snip>
>> enumerating modes take a lot of time (computer-wise) and that's in
>> most cases an unwanted delay since the user will typically decide on
>> a driver to use and then which gfx mode from get_gfx_mode_list().
>
>I understand, maybe the best would be a fast get_gfx_available_drivers
>and then let the user call get_gfx_mode_list for the interesting drivers?

i misunderstood you. the 'problem' you have, can be dealt with using allegro
4.x as it is today. if you look at src/modesel.c, in the beginning of the
function create_driver_list(), you will see how to get a list of GFX_DRIVERs
that is available for a given platform. i'm also positive towards including
a get_gfx_driver_list() function in the API with this purpose. either that
or document the system and gfx driver structs if that's not already the
case. (i don't have the allegro docs before me now)

BTW! if this webmail thing works with the stupid software firewall/proxy
i'm behind now, hopefully you will receive this.

-henrik