Re: [AD] 4.0.1 release

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:56:53PM +0100, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > What are the breakage symptoms on BSD ?

IIRC the problem was with the part of the makefile with the rules to
generate the documentation: they are quite a lot to write by hand,
so they use pattern rules which aren't supported by pmake. Here's an
excerpt of the discussion back in the days when we were going to release
4.0.0. The easy solution for the moment would be to write a script which
generates plain stupid single rules for all the documentation files,
which could be understood by both gnu make and pmake.

#####################################
> > BTW about the pattern rules, I think you have to write something
> > like:
> >
> >     .txt._tx:
> >     	(commands)
> >
> > but I've never done it and this doesn't seem to work with GNU
> > Make (so I probably got the syntax wrong).

> That's exactly the sintax, but for all I tried it didn't work. Most
> importantly, I couldn't find out what where pmake's substitutes of $@
> and $<, so I could translate the basic operation block from...
>
> .txt._tx:
>    $(MAKEDOC) -ascii <output:put_something_here> <input:and_here>
>
> Aparently such rules don't contain paths, which must be indicated
> with something else like VPATH, but that information eluded me too.

The syntax is a little different (first source, then dest)

.SUFFIXES: .txt ._tx

$(DOCS): $(MAKEDOC)

._tx.txt:
	$(MAKEDOC) -ascii $@ $<

I don't know if pmake supports $@ and $<, try it with GNU make first.
Yes, it does not support paths and I'm not sure that VPATH will help
(is it supported in pmake? or make utility on Solaris etc?).

--
Michael Bukin

##################
On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:50:06AM +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> That's exactly the sintax, but for all I tried it didn't work. Most
> importantly, I couldn't find out what where pmake's substitutes of $@
> and $<, so I could translate the basic operation block from...
>
> path/%.txt: src/%._tx $(MAKEDOC)
>    $(MAKEDOC) -ascii $@ $<
>
> ...to...
>
> .txt._tx:
>    $(MAKEDOC) -ascii <output:put_something_here> <input:and_here>
>
> Aparently such rules don't contain paths, which must be indicated
> with something else like VPATH, but that information eluded me too.

I got it to work with GNU Make, still using $< and $@.  There
are two things wrong with what you put, based on what I tested:

    1) you need .SUFFIXES: .txt  (or is it the ._tx that goes there?)

    2) it appears to only work for single-character extensions!

Pah.

George

##################
On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:36:42AM +0000, George Foot wrote:
> I got it to work with GNU Make, still using $< and $@.  There
> are two things wrong with what you put, based on what I tested:
>
>     1) you need .SUFFIXES: .txt  (or is it the ._tx that goes there?)
>
>     2) it appears to only work for single-character extensions!
>
> Pah.

Addendum:  (2) is not true, Michael's example works, and again
as Michael said, both suffixes need to go in .SUFFIXES.  "info
gnu suffix" gives the Make manual on this; it does read a bit
like someone pointing out all the holes in suffix rules, and
telling you to use pattern rules instead, but if you sift
through that there is a bit of information there. :)

George

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org/