Re: [AD] Proposal for small change in d_edit_proc()

Eric Botcazou wrote:
> Is there any real drawback to switching to bytes (instead of
> characters) for this d->d1 field ?

Well, it will break old programs (although it seems likely that it will
also "heal" a lot of code where the author assumed that character=byte).
We can do it in Allegro 5 where we are allowed to break old code, but
note that people will have to actively figure out where to update tbeir
code (as opposed to most of the rest of the API breakage, where it will
be obvious because of a compile error). It probably depends on what the
status the gui will have in Allegro 5 (unchanged, deprecated and
replaced, improved, other suggestions?). But if it wasn't for
compatibility issues, I'd say counting characters isn't nearly as
important as counting bytes.

--
Sven Sandberg    svsa1977@xxxxxxxxxx    home.student.uu.se/svsa1977