Re: [AD] Why multiple windows might suck

Playing the devil's advocate...

Peter Wang wrote:
[snip]
1. Multiple windows showing only Allegro BITMAPs are relatively
   useless, compared to attaching Allegro to GUI toolkits (GTK and the
   like).  I don't think many people will have a use for multiple
   plain BITMAP windows.

I disagree. The same can be said about just every feature in Allegro, appart from possibly blit(), which is used by the majority of users. Not many people use the 3D code. Not many people use the audio streams. And so on. Just because *you* don't use it doesn't make it less useful :)

Having Allegro BITMAPs attached to toolkits is a nice feature, and I can see it being useful; If we support that, then I don't see how much of a stretch it is to support multiple monitors or windows. Or am I missing something?

2. I think it would complicate the input system a lot.  I can't see
   asynchronously updated globals working well with multiple windows.
   (See Eric's rationale for not polling.)  It would probably also
   complicate other things (e.g. the GUI system, if it remains).

Just tag a BITMAP pointer along with the input. I did propose using a more light-wight "display" system, but Shawn disagreed.

3. The common case is likely going to remain single monitor, single
   keyboard, single mouse, [etc], full screen games.  I think Allegro
   should be easy to use in the most common case, like it is now.

You could just ignore all the BITMAP paramters then. It's just as easy, except you have to drag along an extra pointer.

(API wise anyway - drivers are another story).

4. Other libraries have the multiple window environment figured out.
   We should leverage that work.

Exactly!

5. It's less work :-)

Not always - drivers (usualy) know where the input is comming from, so they can just translate that to an active BITMAP and pass it along to the user's code.

[snip]

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)