Re: [AD] New graphics API, take 2

> I've updated the proposed graphics API
> http://www.allegro.cc/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000045

I see you have put the whole updating mechanism into a black box. I
understand the rationale (and it would probably make the life easier for the
Windows port for example), but isn't that a little too high-level ? Why not
simply query the number of video pages with al_create_display() and expose
them through a display->page[] array ?

> Some drivers already use dbl buf and dirty rectangles. So
> why not expose this to the user?

Nice idea. I'm strongly for giving as much power as possible to the user, by
exposing as many low-level interfaces as possible.

> Also, this can speed up drivers that use double buffering, since
> Allegro programs don't have to double buffer themselves, thus saving
> quite a lot of expensive blit()s.

Yes. I have a direct DirectX (!) windowed driver somewhere on my hard drive
for about one year, but it can't currently be merged into Allegro.

---
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx