Re: [AD] alertX - this rocks!

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:51:39AM +0000, Laurence Withers wrote:
> >I'm not sure I agree.  If we're going to have an alert dialog, and if we're
> >already going to break the API, it seems to me that making existing
> >functions more flexible is a Good Thing.
>
> Yes, but the GUI is not a Good Thing, it's just required for a few
> utilities like the grabber. I vote that we leave it well alone. There
> are a couple of projects which use it in an attempt to provide some more
> functionality for us:
>
>  - More GUI, by myself; if I need an extra widget, I put it here,
>  - AGUP, by Peter Wang; makes it look nicer,
>  - DIME, MAGE, etc.
>
> But if I wanted more than even these could offer, I would definitely
> write my own GUI system and forego Allegro's altogether.

On the topic of Allegro's GUI routines, I'd like to say something (at last):
I use the GUI extensively and I find it both easy to use and easy to modify.
About everyone seems to disagree with me here, but I'd like to see a little
cleanup and more flexibility for Allegro's GUI.
I agree that extra widgets should probably be put in add-ons, if not most
of the GUI itself, but IMHO adding an alertx() would be a good thing.

Evert

--
Evert Glebbeek, Physics student
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam