Re: [AD] Allegro iprovements

[I cc:'d to the Allegro development list]

On 2001-12-12, Maciek Fijalkowski <mf197855@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Hi
>   I'm writing an open source RTS game using Allegro and I have some ideas
> which can be placed in the library. There are not pure ideas, because I've
> done them already and I can incorporate them into library, just tell me if
> there is such need.
>
>   1) Owner color. In many games (especially RTS ones) there is need of
> indicating owner of unit by changing one particular color. There is
> possibility of making new sprites, but why don't make it like
> transparency?

I think this is a lot of work (think of all the blitters that have to
be changed), unless you have done it already.  And I don't think it
should belong in the main library, but that's just my gut feeling.

>   2) Keyboard events - mouse callback function was bugfixed and now I can
> use it even in Xwindows (from 4.0.0), but there is also need of event
> callback for keyboard for some functions which needs to be run faster than
> normal frame per second standard.

keyboard_callback, keyboard_ucallback, keyboard_lowlevel_callback ?

>   3) Mouse support for double buffring. Mouse callback for double
> buffering routines, integrated with changing frames. (I can't do it
> normally, I always get ouse blinking or it doesn't work properly).

The usual solution we give is to blit the mouse sprite yourself (e.g.
to a double buffer).  A patch would certainly be interesting.

> Tell me if I'm stupid and it's easy to do all of this things using only
> implemented routines.
>
> PS. Thanks for great lib.

/me reflects this to the rest of the developers :-)

Thanks for the feedback.